This month’s recipe comes from Donna Stratford, Director of Global Customer Service at Blue Pacific Flavors.
With spring in full swing and berry season just around the corner, we think it’s the perfect time to share Donna’s delicious family recipe. Bursting with organic fruit flavor and brightened by a sweet, tangy dressing, this refreshing dish is perfect for picnics and sunny days by the pool. Donna makes this fruit salad all year long, adding pomegranate arils during the fall and winter for seasonal flavor and a little holiday pizazz.
Berry-based fruit salads are some of the easiest to prepare. Most of the berries can be thrown in whole, which makes it convenient to whip the dish up right before you serve it. Additionally, because all but the strawberries are left intact, the salad stays fresh longer and resists oxidative browning, unlike ones made with banana slices or apple cubes.
Organic berries make a big difference in this simple salad. Like little drops of red and blue sunshine, they deliver a robustly complex fruit flavor, harkening back to their wild origins. We love how organic fruit tastes just like nature intended, and the burst of organic flavor these berries bring to Donna’s favorite recipe.
A delicious dressing made from vanilla instant pudding, milk, sour cream, and orange juice concentrate brings this fruit salad together. The sour cream and orange juice provide a tangy edge, while the milk and vanilla pudding lend a sweet creamy touch that perfectly complements the juicy fruit flavors. You can easily find certified organic versions of these ingredients online or at your local natural foods store. Go all-in for a 100% organic flavor experience!
- 1 (16 oz.) container organic strawberries, caps removed and cut into ¼” slices or chopped
- 2 (6 oz.) containers organic raspberries
- 2 (6 oz.) containers organic blueberries
- 2 (6 oz.) containers organic blackberries
- 1 small (3.5 oz.) package of organic vanilla instant pudding
- 1½ cups organic milk (organic oatmilk may be substituted instead)
- ¼ cup organic orange juice concentrate
- 1 small (8 oz.) container of organic sour cream
- Wash the berries and pat dry on paper towels. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the pudding and milk together until the pudding is dissolved. Let rest for 5-10 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the orange juice concentrate and sour cream to the pudding; blend well.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit, tossing gently to mix. Enjoy right away, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
* Variation 1: If you are making this recipe in the fall or winter, you can add pomegranate arils to the salad for a nice crunch.
**Variation 2: You may substitute other pudding flavors, such as cheesecake or lemon, for the vanilla pudding mix…or even pineapple concentrate for the orange juice concentrate. There are no hard and fast rules, just have fun with flavor!
Explore Blue Pacific’s World of Flavor! Our talented team blends global inspiration with technical expertise to craft our wide selection of Natural Flavors and Certified Organic Flavors. Whatever your application, we have a profile that fits. Request a sample today!