This month’s recipe comes from Blue Pacific’s Quality & Regulatory Director, Lotie Walkowiak – so you know that it has been lovingly tested and is guaranteed to be good! Lotie selected Chicken Adobo, a favorite dish from her native Philippines that is the perfect one-pan meal for busy families.
“Everybody has their own version of this popular traditional meal, but the one I’m sharing is my Mom’s own recipe,” Lotie says. “Simple and easy especially when there’s only enough time to prepare for the simplest of meals. This is my favorite dish since childhood.”
It’s not just the quick and easy prep that makes this dish a standard in the Walkowiak household. Chicken adobo offers a world of flavor, too. The sweet and savory adobo sauce fills the kitchen with delicious fragrance as it simmers on the stove, evoking fond memories of home – and happiness.
“Mom did a wonderful job teaching her five children. We truly savor the love of this filipino cuisine. She taught us this recipe while growing up and now my hubby and daughters use the same recipe. My hubby serves his chicken adobo over rice or bread with pride. We would have a meaningful dinner together with our daughters, share stories, laughter, and make memories together that will stay with us throughout our lives.”
Thank you Lotie for sharing this special family and cultural tradition with us. Chicken Adobo is sure to become a favorite in the Blue Pacific family, too. Try it tonight – recipe below!
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, legs, and/or drumsticks
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 1 c. water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. black peppercorn
- 1 tsp. brown or white sugar
- Steamed white rice or bread, for serving
- Chopped green onions or parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in pan and sauté garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add chicken to pan and sear on all sides.
- Pour vinegar, soy sauce, and water into pan. Add bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins or until sauce has thickened.
- Add sugar to pan sauce and stir until dissolved.
- Serve chicken over warm rice or bread with spoonfuls of tasty sauce. Garnish with green onions and/or parsley if desired.